Have you ever come across the term “Existentialism”? In simple words, it’s a philosophy which states that our lives have no inherent meaning per se, no predetermined purpose and we, through our own choices and actions, give them a meaning.
I’ve always been fascinated by existentialism. Frankly, it provided me with a deeper understanding of myself and my emotions. Often, I could draw parallels between my own experience and the philosophy which made me feel relieved, remarkably.
There are famous thinkers, philosophers and writers who are associated with existentialism. Here is my list of top ten famous quotes by existentialists.
1. I am free and that is why I am lost.Franz Kafka
2. Pain and suffering are always inevitable for a large intelligence and a deep heart. The really great men must, I think, have great sadness on earth.Fyodor Dostoevsky
3. We are our choices.Jean-Paul Sartre
4. If you know the why, you can live any how.Friedrich Nietzsche
5. The most common form of despair is not being who you are.Søren Kierkegaard
6. In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.Albert Camus
7. The mystery of human existence lies not in just staying alive, but in finding something to live for.Fyodor Dostoevsky
8. Don’t bend; don’t water it down; don’t try to make it logical; don’t edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.Franz Kafka
9. The most painful state of being is remembering the future, particularly the one you’ll never have.Søren Kierkegaard
10. When I discover who I am, I’ll be free.Ralph Ellison
Do you believe in existentialism? Do these quotes speak to you? Don’t forget to share your thoughts with me.
Thank you for reading! P.S I promise I’ll be regular now …
© Tryst with mind-26/07/2020
Source of the quotes: Goodreads